The Australian Government introduced the Private Health Insurance Rebate (also known as the Federal Government 30% Rebate) initiative in January 1999. For every dollar that you contribute to your private health insurance premium, the Government will give you back at least 30 cents as a Private Health Insurance Rebate. The Rebate increases depending on your age:
- 30% for people under 65,
- 35% for people aged 65-69, and
- 40% for people aged 70 and over.
The Rebate is not applicable for overseas visitors health cover. (PrivateHealth.gov)
How to claim the Rebate
- Be a current member of a Private Health Care organization, e.g. NIB, Medibank Private.
- Check what cover you have: hospital, general treatment, ancillary or extras.
- Let your Therapist/Practitioner know that you have Private Health Care coverage.
- Inform your Therapist/Practitioner that you require a Health Care Rebate receipt.
- Lodge your Rebate form to your Private Health Care organization.